Ferry Over the Washington Channel
Take the Wharf Jitney from Recreation Pier to East Potomac Park. Explore this 400-acre man-made island’s numerous amenities, including a public golf course, driving range, miniature golf course, public swimming pool, indoor and outdoor tennis courts, picnic area, and several athletic fields. It is also a popular destination for fishermen, cyclists, walkers, inline skaters, and runners.
Hours of Operation
The Wharf Jitney operates 12:00pm - 4:00pm every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday through December 3, 2022. Following that date, the Jitney will be out of service until Spring 2023.
The Wharf Jitney operation is subject to weather conditions.
- In accordance with Coast Guard regulations, the Wharf Jitney has a maximum capacity of 6 passengers, including children and babies.
- In accordance with Coast Guard regulations, all persons under age 13 must wear life jackets when on board the Wharf Jitney. Life jackets will be provided by the Jitney captain.
- All passengers under age 18 must be accompanied by a legally responsible adult guardian.
- A jitney ride across the Channel takes less than five minutes. To get picked up, stand on Wharf Recreation Pier or East Potomac Dock.
- Bicycles, golf clubs, strollers, and dogs are welcome on the jitney, space permitting.
- No open food or drinks may be carried or consumed on the jitney. Unopened food and drinks with lids are acceptable.
- If you miss the last boat of the day, you can walk back to The Wharf via the 14th Street Bridge. This 1.5 mile walk offers lovely views of The Wharf and the Washington Channel (Directions).